Alright, so what I have here is my new Lumenier QAV210 Charpu build. It somehow takes me forever and ever to complete a build, because I’m a perfectionist. However, it pays off in the end.
I’m posting all the completed build photos for now. If the article gathers enough interest, I’ll take the time to post up the build process photos. But PinchTune is kinda new, so traffic is small right now. If I see interest, I’ll dedicate the time.
Here are is the parts list for my QAV210 Charpu mini quad build:
- Frame: Lumenier QAV210 Charpu 210mm – 5 inch props
- Motors: Rotorgeeks 2204 2300kv motors
- ESC: MRM Zeus / FVT LittleBees 20A ESCs
- Flight Controller: ReadyMadeRC Seriously Dodo
- FC Firmware: Betaflight
- OSD/PDB: Power OSD Pro
- FPV Camera: HS1177 PAL from ImpulseRC
- VTX: ReadyMadeRC Cricket 5.8Ghz 600mW
- Battery: Gens Tattu 1300mah 70C LiPo
- Video Antenna: Immersion RC / Fat Shark 5.8Ghz SpiroNet
- Radio: FrSky Taranis X9D Plus
- RC Receiver: FrSky X4R-SB
- Servo Camera-Tilt: Turnigy D56LV Coreless Digital Servo
- Props: HQ Prop 5040×3 (Tris)
- Wiring: Turniqy Silicone Wires
- Built weight: 310 grams (100 grams less than my old Blackouts)
- Quad + Flight Pack: 470 grams
- AUW (Quad / LiPo / GoPro HERO 4 Black: 585 grams
There are a number of key things I did to modify the original QAV210 design. First, I managed to drop the CG by lowering the height of the top plate. Stock is the standard 35mm. I lowered it by 5mm to 30mm. I tried 25mm but it was too low and the props would hit the edge of the top plate, not to mention the HS1177 camera wouldn’t fit with the hinge for the servo-tilt.
The other thing is that servo-tilt. I used to run camera-tilts on my Blackouts and I really wanted one on this frame. I have other quads that have fixed cameras and landing is always a pain. Not to mention, slow proximity is a problem too because the crazy camera angle is only good for high speed. With this quad I’ll be able to cruise, do slow proximity and race, all within the same flight if I wanted to.
To reduce the height of the top plate I replaced the stock alloy standoffs with nylon ones from Multirotormania. I like nylon standoffs with aluminum hardware. They are strong enough not to break during most crashes. However, if you take big spill, they’ll break instead of having your carbon fiber break. At least this has been my experience.
I used a tiny brass door hinge from home depot for the camera tilt (props to my buddy Jani for that idea) and 3M Extreme Mounting double sided tape. That’s the same setup I used in my Blackouts. The only thing here it I bolted the hinge to the frame and only used tape for the camera side of the hinge. I did this to reduce slop.
I’m very impressed with the overall build and weight of the quad. This thing is going to rock. I mean, I’m starting off with 100 grams less than my previous build, so I’m stoked.
Let’s let the pictures do the talking now…